If you want to gain lean mass, you will have to maximize muscle growth while minimizing fat gains, which is called clean bulking. On the other hand dirty bulking focuses on continuously having excess of calories, as long as the amount of protein is reached.
The first thing to say is that no matter how dedicated you are on your diet, a small increase of fat is inevitable. Your nutrition will play a major role in building muscle or losing fat.
Eat More Protein To Build Muscle
During your bulk protein will be used to build, repair and maintain muscle tissue. Therefore, you must consume more protein, especially after your workout, this is the moment where your body needs it the most. In order to build muscle, you will have to consume 1g of protein per pound of body weight daily.
However, if you want to obtain muscle growth your body will need food that contains all the amino acids. This is why you must consume complete protein foods such as:
Eat Your Carbohydrates, It Matters, A LOT!
Carbohydrates are the primary source of energy for your body. It exists different kind of carbohydrates often called: simple carbs and complex carbs. During the period of your lean bulking, you will mainly consume complex carbs which will give you energy over a longer period of time and also prevent fat storage.
When ingested, carbohydrates are turned into glucose, which is available in the bloodstream and enables muscle contraction. In short words, you would not be able to workout properly without them.
Getting enough carbohydrates is essential for you trainings, for a number of reasons:
- It allows you to do heavy and intense weight training, which leads to building more muscle.
- Since it is the main source of energy, consuming carbs allows good function of the brain, the mood, personality and mental-ability.
- Muscles are bigger when the body stores water and glycogen in the muscle cells.
- It keeps the body from using muscle tissue as a source of energy: this state is called "catabolism".
Don't Forget To Eat Good Fats While Bulking
When people are bulking they think they can have junk food whenever they want, because they will able to burn the fat during their cut; this is called dirty bulking. However, this is not the best approach to build muscle without fat, and fitness in general. Nevertheless you must consume good fats because your body needs it.
Healthy fats have different benefits for building mass:
- Calorie dense
- Proper hormone levels (Muscle growth, get energy from food ...)
- Absorb fat soluble vitamins (A, E)